At SMEJAPAN we know you are all busy getting business done in Japan.  We are all for efficiency and ease of administration.  Below you will find a single page containing forms for adding/editing and changing details.  If you find you have some requests for additional forms please let us know.

Employee Payroll Details and Payments

Please use the above forms to add/change any details regarding your companies employee details or monthly salary payments.

Japanese Work Visa FAQ

Can I get a visa if I start a business (self sponsorship)?

Individuals who are looking to set up a business in Japan need to apply for the Investor/Manager Visa. This type of visa comes with a different set of requirements, and is not classified under the Working Visa category.

Certificate of Eligibility

I have received the Certificate of Eligibility. Does this allow me to enter Japan?

A Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is a certification that you have fulfilled all requirements that makes you qualified for the work visa you are applying for. The next step is to submit the visa application itself which entitles you to enter Japan and commence work there.

Can someone else submit an application for the Certificate of Eligibility for me?

You can submit the application for the Certificate of Eligibility on your own through the Japanese embassy or consulate in your country. The company or organization sponsoring your working visa can also assist you with the application. However, many individuals and business owners opt to work with an agency to handle the paperwork as the process can be quite tedious. Remember that you need to apply for eligibility based on the activities that you intend to partake while in Japan. As there are several types of work status applicable, you want to make sure that you are applying for eligibility for the correct one.

What are the fees for applying for the COE?

Application for the Certificate of Eligibility is free of charge.

Do I need to be outside Japan to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility for work visa?

You may apply for the COE while you are on tourist visa in Japan but do note that the processing time can take 1-3 months. You will not be allowed to extend the validity of your tourist visa due to a pending COE application. If your visa expires before the certificate comes out, you will need to leave Japan and wait for the approval offshore.

Highly-Skilled Foreign Professionals Visa

Is there a language proficiency requirement to be eligible for the Highly Skilled Foreign Professionals visa?

If you’re looking to stay in Japan for a significant period, learning the Japanese language would be advantageous. Individuals applying for the HSFP visa get substantial points for being able to converse in Japanese.

You will need to provide proof of Japanese language proficiency by taking the Japanese-Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) or the Business Japanese Proficiency Test (BJT).

How many points do I need to qualify for the HSFP visa?

You need a total of 70 points to qualify as a highly-skilled foreign professional. You can earn points based on a list of criteria including educational background, training, annual salary, and age.

Japan Work Visa

I am carrying a Japan working visa, can my spouse engage in work if she is on dependents visa?

Yes, spouses carrying the Spouse (Dependents) Visa are allowed to engage in part-time work. Your spouse needs to obtain a permission to engage in up to 28 hours of work per week. This, however, does not include work in the entertainment and amusement industry.