The number one concern for foreigners in Japan is usually setting up a bank account and getting a card issued by the Japanese bank. Even today, it might be hard to find ATMs that would accept cards issued outside Japan or process the requests without charging additional fees. On this page, you will find information about the services available in English at Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (SMBC) or follow the link to learn about other providers.
What kind of services can I get from SMBC?
- Getting a credit card. You can choose between PRESTIA Visa card or Sumitomo Mitsui credit card. The second one is designed specifically for small and medium enterprises.
- Customer support via telephone available 24h.
- Services at the counter in the SMBC branches.
- Banking services, including loans, transfers inside Japan, overseas transfers, and remittances
- Setting a depository account with a card that is linked to it. Usually, it comes with a service fee of JPY 2,000. However, these fees can lited in some cases when the account holder meets certain requirements.
Who can apply for SMBC bank card?
How to apply for SMBC card?
Through the internet
It is probably the most convenient option. You can submit an online application here.
When opening an account online you can choose in between two special offers:
- Zero fees for deposits and withdrawals at ATMs of affiliated financial institutions (Seven Bank and Japan Post Bank). If the fees are charged, they will be refunded later. Account holders can use these free of charge cervices 100 times per month.
- 37% discount for transfer of funds within Japan in yen to other banks using PRESTIA Online or PRESTIA Mobile for 6 months, including the month when the account was opened. IF you apply in the end of one month, the application may be processed later, and your account will be ready the following month. You can always a bank to give the exact date.
At the branch
Although it make take more time to visit the branch, applications at the branches are processed faster. You will most like get the card on the day of your application. You can find the nearest service point here.
When opening bank account at SMBC by phone, you will get the instructions from the staff first, and then can proceed to opening account by mail. The lines are open 24/7 all year round. You can find the toll-free and paid line numbers here.